SPICY CHARRED CORN AND RICE SALAD
This quick and easy supper dish uses store cupboard and freezer ingredients for those evenings when you just don't have time to pop to the shops and need feeding fast. These Merchant Gourmet grain pouches also are a great source of fibre which we need for good gut health
Ingredients (serves 2 as main meal and 4 as an accompaniment)
250g @merchantgourmt Smoky Spanish style grains or Spicy Mexican style grains and pulses or a mix of both
200g frozen sweetcorn
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 level tsp spicy smoked paprika
2tbsp red wine vinegar
1 red pepper, sliced
2 tsp olive oil
½ tsp of salt
Handful coriander or parsley, roughly chopped
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tsp of chipotle paste
1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a large thin bottomed frying pan. When hot, add the sweetcorn and cook until charred and browned.
- Once the sweetcorn is charred, transfer into a bowl.
- In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil, lower the heat and add the red onion and cook until slowly caramelised.
- When the red onion is softened, add the paprika and red wine vinegar.
- Cook for 2 minutes until the vinegar has been absorbed by the onion.
- Add to the sweetcorn and then add the salt.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing together the extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, garlic and chipotle and season.
- Heat up the rice according to instructions and mix with the sweetcorn, roasted red pepper and caramelised onion.
- Mix in the dressing and herbs and serve.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.