Butternut squash and sweetcorn combine beautifully with smoked haddock and chilli to create a filling meal, perfect for cooler September days and all throughout Autumn and Winter.
Tips– If you prepare this later in the year when fresh corn is out of season, it works equally well using frozen sweetcorn.
Food focus– A 100g portion of haddock provides 3X RDA of selenium, which is important for cancer, heart disease and diabetes prevention. I buy my haddock from FishBox, use my code
50% off the price of your first subscription box.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
200g Smoked haddock, cut into large pieces
2 Sweetcorn cobs, kernels removed
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 Red onion, finely diced
1 Bulb of fennel, finely chopped
1 Carrot, finely diced
300g Butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 2cm dice
2 Cloves of garlic, finely chopped
½ tsp Dried chilli flakes
15g Dill, finely chopped
700ml Vegetable stock
200ml Almond milk
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and when hot, add the onion, carrot, garlic and fennel and sweat for 10 minutes until softened and not browned.
2. Remove the kernels from the corn cobs and blitz half the kernels in a small food processor, and keep the other kernels whole.
3. Add the chilli and cook for a minute.
4. Add the squash and stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10–15 minutes until the squash is tender.
5. Add the smoked haddock, almond milk, creamed corn, whole corn kernels and
dill and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Season to taste, add the zest and juice of the lime and serve with a sprinkle of fresh dill and coriander.