These moist cakes are full of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavours and should be a reminder of sun-drenched days. Loosely based on a Nigella Lawson recipe, I love the combination of orange, almond and chocolate which creates a delicious gluten-free and dairy-free treat.
4 eggs, beaten
3 very ripe bananas
250g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
75g dark chocolate
1. Wash the oranges and add to a pan of boiling water. Cook until soft which should take about 1 and half hours. Cool completely.
2. Preheat the oven to 190ºc/375ºc/Gas mark 5.
3. Cut the cooled oranges in half and remove the pips.
4. Place in a food processor and process to a smooth puree.
5. Add the eggs, bananas, almonds and baking powder and pulse until well-combined.
6. Pour the batter into a lined Swiss roll tray.
7. Bake until firm to the touch – approximately 40 minutes.
8. Cool completely in the tray.
9. Melt the chocolate in a bain mairie
10. Stamp cake into 20 rounds with a pastry cutter.
11. Brush the tops of the cake with the melted chocolate and allow to cool and set.