FRIDGE FORAGE (or clean) to create some sort of healthy spring like side after a few days away. If you’re like me, you sometimes have some veg left which are just past their best when you get home from a few days away. Food waste is one of the biggest wastes of energy which impacts the environment so creating dishes to limit this makes a positive difference. So here is my version of braised little gems with shallots and peas based on a Waitrose recipe. It’s delicious and a perfect vegetarian side dish.
12.5g butter or 1 tbsp olive oil
1 large shallot, finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 little gem lettuces, cut in half
100g petit pois
100ml vegetable stock
5g of mint leaves
1 tbsp finely chopped chives
5g flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
5g basil leaves
1. Melt the butter in a large flat pan over a medium heat.
2. Sauté the shallot for 3 - 4 minutes, until softened.
3. Add the frozen peas and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and kale and sauté for another 2 minutes.
5. Add in the little gem lettuce and cover with stock. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
6. Season well and mix in the mint, parsley and chives.
7. Top with basil and serve.
Serve as part of a vegetarian sharing meal, or with grilled fish or chicken for a healthy post work supper.
Comments will be approved before showing up.