I created this recipe for my supper showcase last month in collaboration with UK Shallots. I wanted to use shallots in fresh and light dishes to do away with the idea that shallots are reserved for heavy winter stews. This salad is great for the summer but I have also been enjoying it on these cooler Autumn days, making the most of the final glut of seasonal sweetcorn and tomatoes. I paired the salad with a cumin, chilli and herb dressing, which perfectly complements the sweet and juicy corn.
Ingredients (Serves 4 - 6)
For the quick pickled shallots
2 shallots, finely sliced
50ml apple cider vinegar (I love Willy's ACV)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 fresh jalepeño or chipotle chilli, finely chopped
1. Grill the corn on a barbecue or under a hot grill.
2. Remove the kernels from the cob and allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, mix the vinegar, salt and sugar for pickled onions and mix with the
finely sliced shallots.
4. Heat a dry pan and lightly toast the cumin seeds.
5. Mix the corn, tomatoes, radishes, cumin and coriander.
6. Remove the sliced shallots from the pickling juice and add to the salad.
7. Add all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar, shake well and season.
8. Dress the salad and mix well.