Healthy Halloween - Chocolate peanut butter muffins with peanut butter frosting
These dairy-free and refined sugar free muffins are perfect for Halloween with their chocolate centre or just for healthy treat. They are wheat free too as I've used Rude Health sprouted spelt flour. The peanut butter frosting is just delicious - I used Pics Smooth peanut butter along with almond milk and maple syrup. Pics is made with hi-oleic acid peanuts from Australia which are much sweeter and more satiating.
Ingredients (makes 15)
For the muffins
210g Rude Health Sprouted spelt flour
40g Green and Black's cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp agave nectar
100g Clearspring organic apple puree
225ml almond milk
50ml olive oil
175g Pics peanut butter
3 tbsp maple syrup
20g dark chocolate, broken up into small pieces
For the peanut butter frosting
150g Pics smooth peanut butter
100ml almond milk
4 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180c/ 350f/ Gas mark 4.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix together the eggs, almond milk, apple puree, agave nectar, maple syrup, vanilla extract and olive oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the flour mix until absorbed and then beat in the peanut butter.
- Line a cupcake or muffin tray with paper cases and spoon in two heaped tablespoons of mixture.
- Add 1 piece of dark chocolate and cover with a little more muffin mix.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until rise and cooked through.
- Make up the peanut butter frosting by mixing the peanut butter and maple syrup. Beat in the almond milk until the frosting reaches dropping consistency.
- When the muffins are cool, spread with frosting and decorate.
Leave a Reply