Low carb breakfast burrito
This Mexican inspired breakfast dish is packed with both protein and nutrients yet super flavourful to get you through a busy day. It's gluten free, grain free and high in protein and good fats but low in carbohydrates. Make the salsa in advance ready for a quick healthy breakfast. I sometimes swap the fresh chilli for chipotle paste - try from Cool Chile Co or Gran Luchito.
Ingredients (serves 2) from Farmdrop - use URBAN10 for £10 off your first order)
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
1 medium avocados, mashed
For roast corn salsa
1 corn on the cob
1 red pepper, seeded and quartered
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
Juice of ½ a lime
1 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For burritos and filling
Little gem lettuce leaves, washed
50g cooking chorizo, diced
50ml organic milk
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/ 350ºF/ Gas mark 4.
- Rinse the corn under cold water to moisten and then place corn on an oven tray and roast for 45 minutes.
- Chop red pepper into a fine dice.
- When corn is cool, slice roasted kernels from the cob with a sharp knife.
- Combine corn, peppers, chilli, onion, coriander, lime and oil in a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare guacamole by mixing together all the ingredients and season to taste
- Beat the eggs with the milk and season.
- Heat up a small pan on a medium heat and add the butter.
- Add the chorizo and cook for about 2 – 3 min until it starts to soften.
- Add the egg mixture and stir until the eggs are cooked as you wish.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves in a plate and carefully spoon in the chorizo and egg scramble.
- Top with roast corn salsa and guacamole.
Farmdrop connect people directly with producers, so that you can get your hands the freshest seasonal food. It is delivered to your door the same day it leaves the fields and kitchens of local farmers and food makers.
We've setup the code URBAN10 for you to experience the simplicity of Farmdrop and their delicious farm to plate produce. This will give you £10 off your first order (you'll need to spend a minimum of £10.01 for the code to work)
Leave a Reply