Pumpkin buckwheat pancakes
These thick pancakes from the Savoie region of France and often form the basis of mountain dishes that are designed to fill you up. These can be topped with slices of quail or ham and cheese or a variety of different toppings to make a different canape.
Ingredients (makes 12) - 70kcal, 3g protein, 4g fat, 5g carbs per pancake
60g buckwheat flour
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 egg white
250g of cooked, mashed pumpkin
- Sift the flour and salt together in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add eggs, mashed pumpkin and buttermilk and mix into a batter.
- Stir in the nutmeg.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and then fold into the mixture.
- Preheat a frying pan and lightly oil.
- Drop heaped teaspoonfuls of the batter onto the hot pan and cook until brown, approx 2 minutes.
- Flip over the pancakes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Top the pancakes with your choice of garnish - we like 1 tsp of creme fraiche and freshly chopped chives
Leave a Reply