Winter Apple, Beetroot and Ginger Porridge
I created this delicious porridge recipe for the Rude Health Porridge Championships, an amazing competition in which a collection of 12 chefs, healthy foodies, bloggers and journalists proved that porridge can be anything but boring. The winner was our very own fitness expert and personal trainer, Adam Stansbury, who wowed the judges and us with his 'La Madre' porridge (with dark chocolate and sleeping honey). Take a look at Adam's porridge and the rest of the competition, here.
As promised, here's the recipe for my own Rude Health creation, Apple, beetroot and ginger porridge with Rude Health spiced apple granola and toasted walnuts. Enjoy, and don't forget to tweet us with your photos! (@theurbankitchen)
- Apple, beetroot and ginger porridge with Total 0% Greek yoghurt, spiced apple granola and toasted walnuts (makes 4)
2 large English apples, grated
1 large raw beetroot, grated
3cm ginger, grated
3 tbsp agave nectar
100g oats (I used Jumbo but having tasted the others, think that more finely milled is better)
200ml Ivy House Organic jersey milk
20g walnuts, lightly toasted
50g Total 0% Greek yoghurt mixed with 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp Rude Health spiced apple granola
- Toast the oats gently in a pan over a low heat until almost golden and when they smell toasted. (Be careful to keep stirring and so the oats don’t catch)
- Add in the milk and cook over a medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes until the porridge begins to thicken.
- Add the grated beetroot, apple and ginger and agave nectar stir well. Cook for about 2 min
- Add the mixed spice and cook for a further minute.
- Decant into bowls and top with yoghurt, spiced granola and walnuts
Of course, we had a little bit of porridge mixture left over and don't like to waste anything, so in honour of Breast Cancer Awareness month I blended up the mixture to create these pink Beetroot, Apple and Ginger Protein Protein Pancakes!
Leave a Reply