Wimbledon-inspired Pimms jelly cups
photo by Pinterest.com
Murray mania has hit the UK and big screens showing all of the Wimbledon action are popping up all over London. Pack something inspired in your picnic basket if you're heading out to join the crowds in the sunshine this weekend.
This amazingly light and fresh dish evokes memories of an English summer’s day with cricket of the lawn and afternoon tea. Preparing the drink with some gelatine provides an interesting twist to a traditional favourite.
Ingredients (serves 8 as a starter or a snack)
400 ml hot water
6 tbsp of cold water
300 ml sparkling water
Juice of 1 lemon
7 sheets of leaf gelatine
150g caster sugar
250ml Pimm's No 1
3 medium oranges, segments
¼ cucumber, diced
16 mint leaves
100g strawberries, hulled and diced
- Place the leaves of gelatine in a dish and cover with cold water to soak.
- Add the hot water, lemon juice and the caster sugar to a pan and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and add the soaked gelatine leaves and sparkling water and leave to melt.
- When the gelatine has completely melted, stir the mixture and strain through a sieve into a bowl.
- Add the Pimm’s and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the oranges by removing the skin and pith and removing the flesh from the membrane. Dice the flesh.
- Half fill the serving glasses with the Pimm’s jelly mixture and add half the diced cucumber, strawberries and orange.
- Allow to set for 1 and a half hours in the fridge.
- Top with the remaining jelly mixture and add the remaining orange, strawberries and cucumber and 2 mint leaves.
- Allow to set completely and serve with the mixed fruit.
Leave a Reply