Indian spiced salmon with cumin & chilli cauliflower, quinoa and kale salad
When the autumn colours fade, this spicy dish can brighten up a gloomy winter with vitamin D from salmon being important to ward off depression. The coloured cauliflower can be swapped for normal cauliflower or even Romanesco for delicious winter's meal.
Ingredients (serves 2) from Farmdrop - use URBAN10 for £10 off your first order)
For the salad
2 tsp olive oil
400g coloured or plain cauliflowers, separated into small florets
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 garlic cloves, crushed
30g sunflower and pumpkin seeds
½ red chilli, finely chopped
50g kale, washed and roughly chopped
50g quinoa, washed and rinsed
For the salmon
1 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
½ tsp cumin seeds
Juice of ½ lemon
2 x 125g portions of salmon
For the dressing
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
5g coriander, leaves only
- Boil the quinoa according to the instructions until cooked through – this will take about 20 – 25 min. Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Marinate the fish – mix together the oil, chilli, cumin and garlic in a deep plate and cover the salmon in the marinade.
- Using a large wok or deep frying pan, heat 1 tsp of the olive oil and add the cauliflower, cooking until softened. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid or a baking sheet and cook for 1 -2 mins.
- Add the cumin seeds, 1 clove of garlic, chilli and sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Stir-fry for 5 mins over a medium heat until the seeds are golden. Season generously with salt and pepper and scatter with chopped coriander.
- Transfer the cauliflower mix into a bowl.
- Into the wok, add the remaining olive oil and garlic with the kale and toast until softened. Season well.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice in a jar and season to make the dressing.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and when hot, add the salmon. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until almost cooked through. Season well.
- Mix the cooked quinoa with the kale.
- Arrange the quinoa and kale mixture on a plate and top with the cauliflower salad.
- Serve the salmon on the salad and drizzle over the dressing and sprinkle over the remaining coriander leaves.
Farmdrop connect people directly with producers, so that you can get your hands the freshest seasonal food. It is delivered to your door the same day it leaves the fields and kitchens of local farmers and food makers.
We've setup the code URBAN10 for you to experience the simplicity of Farmdrop and their delicious farm to plate produce. This will give you £10 off your first order (you'll need to spend a minimum of £10.01 for the code to work)
Leave a Reply