Although it's getting slightly warmer and the days are getting longer, I still find myself craving wintery comfort foods and this apple, almond and quinoa bake hits the spot. It is full of protein and slow releasing carbs and is gluten-free and dairy-free! Enjoy it with homemade blackberry and blueberry compôte and Arla Skyr or Greek yoghurt (as pictured) or with fresh berries for breakfast or as an after dinner sweet treat.
Makes 20 squares
92kcal, 3g protein, 3g fat, 3g carbs
140g uncooked quinoa (I like British Quinoa Company)
1 tsp cinnamon ground
1 tbsp Steenbergs Organic pumpkin pie spice
4 apples, grated
4 eggs, beaten
450ml almond milk (I like Rude Health)
60ml maple syrup
50g flaked almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180c/ 350f/ Gas mark 4
2. Line and grease a 20cm x 15cm tin.
3. Mix together the quinoa and spices.
4. Beat the eggs, almond milk and maple syrup together and pour into the quinoa.
5. Add the grated apple and ¾ of the flaked almonds and mix well.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and sprinkle over the remaining almonds.
7. Bake for about 1 hour or until the mixture is set but not completely dry.
8. Cool before cutting into slices.
9. Store in the fridge and warm before eating.